This is a great way to take a regular cooked ham and turn it into something spectacular by applying a spicy rub and placing it in a smoker. Let it smoke for a long while and it will taste great.
– 1 6 pound/2.7 kg “ready to eat” ham
– 1 cup/240 ml pineapple juice
– 3/4 cup/180 ml chicken stock
– 1/2 cup/120 ml honey
– 2 tablespoon/30 ml vegetable oil
– 1 tablespoon/15 ml black pepper
– 1 tablespoon/15 ml paprika
– 1 tablespoon/15 ml sugar
– 2 teaspoons/10 ml salt
– 2 teaspoons/10 ml dry mustard
– 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 ml cayenne
– 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 ml ground cloves
The night before you smoke, mix together the pepper, paprika, sugar, salt, 1 teaspoon of dry mustard and cayenne. Rub over the surface of the ham, wrap in foil and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning remove the ham from the refrigerator and let it sit for 1 hour. Remove foil. In the meantime prepare the smoker. You will be smoking at about 210 degrees C for 6 hours. Mix together the chicken stock, 3/4 cups/180 ml of pineapple juice, vegetable oil, 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 ml dry mustard, and cloves. Warm over medium heat until completely mixed. Place ham in smoker and baste with sauce once every hour. While the ham is smoking, prepare the glaze by mixing together the honey, 1/4 cup/60 ml on pineapple juice, 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 ml dry mustard and a pinch of ground cloves. Brush generously with glaze a couple of times during the last hour of smoking.