“Earlier today a journalist asked me for my top 10 braai tips. Considering that I did not have such a list of tips, I sucked them out of my thumb. Here they are:
- Nothing beats a real wood fire.
- Gas is Afrikaans for a guest at your braai, not something you braai with.
- Braaing is the only fat-negative way of cooking food. Even when you steam it, the fat in the food stays behind. When you braai, the fat drips out.
- Never braai with indigenous wood. Alien vegetation like Rooikrantz and Blackwattle drink lots of ground water and besides, it’s good burning Australian rubbish.
- Braaing is a direct form of energy use, from the coals, to your meat. With conventional electricity there is a lot spillage between the power plant, power lines, electricity box, wires, stove and pan. If you love the earth, braai.
- Have enough ice at your braai. To put in Klipdrift & Coke, to keep Castles cold, and to treat burn wounds with.
- Smoke flies to pretty people, so send them to the kitchen to go and make salad.
- Animals eat grass, leaves and vegetables all their lives and convert it to meat. Eating meat is like eating vitamin pills.
- A cow must only be killed once. Do not braai you steak until the flavour is dead.
- A braaibroodjie is your chance in life to have you bread buttered on both sides.”
Source: Jan Braai – www.braai4heritage.co.za