Let’s take a cultural journey around the world with me and see how #braaihards in other countries do it.
I think after this long stretch of ‘ lean braai’ posts I think we can move onto a new topic. So let’s end off this week with the last lean recipe, looking at ribs.
As we are gearing up to be more manly again after losing a few kilograms, here’s a recipe I may get some flack for. But hey, if you haven’t lost a bit of weight after this, then I don’t know. Let’s dig in.
This steak salad recipe is tasty and easy to make. Flat-iron steak is quite tender; cook this lean cut of steak to medium-rare for the best flavor.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 flat-iron steaks (3/4 inch thick, about 1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed, or 1 flank steak, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovy fillets or 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cups frisée or curly endive, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- To marinate steaks: Combine 3 tablespoons oil, minced garlic, thyme, sage, salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a gallon-size sealable plastic bag. Add steaks and turn the bag several times to coat them. Let the steaks marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To prepare dressing: Place vinegar, mustard, anchovy, garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a mini food processor (or blender) and process until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Add 1/4 cup oil and process until creamy. Set aside for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- To cook steaks: Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat until hot or preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade. (Discard marinade.) Grill the steaks (two at a time, if using a grill pan) until browned on both sides and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 125° to 130°F for medium-rare, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- To finish the salad: Toss frisée (or endive) with the dressing in a large bowl. Divide among 6 plates. Slice the steak diagonally across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Top the salads with the steak and sprinkle with blue cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steaks (Step 1), prepare dressing (Step 2) and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 40 minutes before cooking.
While we are on our health kick, we are looking at great tasting food that we can still eat and lose weight with.
It’s January and we here at Braai.co.za is on a health kick. Yes, we wants to lose weight but we don’t want to STOP braaing. How will we acheive this? Lean butterflied chicken.
I was asked to do a video on how we do braaibroodjies in our family, so I shot this video today because we we’re peckish and decided to braai some braaibroodjies for lunch.
I know a lot of people are a little ‘thin’ around New Years, so I thought it good to look at a budget way of stil braaing for a couple people and still having a good time.
Got family or friends coming over? Chances are they’re pretty hungry and perhaps a ‘little’ hung over? Let’s treat them well, shall we?